KV Students Explore STEM Careers and Opportunities at the Mojave Air and Space Port

Students roam the booths inside of the Mojave Air and Space Port.

Left to right, top to bottom: Eva Brennan (12), Casey Robinson, Julia Torrejon (11), Kasey Lassen (12), Nevaeh Davis (12), and Olga Antonini (12)

On March 3rd, 2023, several Kern Valley students and staff traveled to the Mojave Air and Space Port to attend the First Annual East Kern Career Expo. STEM teachers Casey Robinson and Wes Woody led the trip, inviting many students from Mr. Robinson’s and Mr. Schultz’s classes to attend the event. Along with several other Kern County schools, these Kern Valley students had the opportunity to visit booths and exhibits at the expo, learning about many different career and educational opportunities. Notably, the exposition featured representatives from the US Army, NASA, and even flight simulators with which students could interact.

For many students, this event was an opportunity to be exposed to several interesting career paths in the STEM (and even some non-STEM) fields. All participants were encouraged to be curious, and students engaged presenters at each booth with questions about job qualifications, prospects, and paychecks. Ultimately, every Kern Valley student left the event loaded down with cool stickers, huge grins, and minds opened to a world of opportunities. If you are interested in attending a similar event in the following years, make sure to speak with your STEM teachers about Kern County career expos. Earlier this year, Mr. Robinson led a similar trip to Bakersfield College, which emphasized job opportunities in the fields of engineering.