Kern Valley Highlights

The Student News Site of Kern Valley High School

• March 14Quarter 3 ends on March 15th.
  • January 22Now recording sports scores! Be sure to check in often to keep up to date with the latest sports news.
  • October 13Welcome to Kern Valley Highlights! Check out our newest articles today.

Kern Valley Highlights

Kern Valley Highlights

Goal!: A Season Recap of the Soccer Team’s Triumphs and Challenges

The girl’s soccer team.

The recently concluded winter sports season saw the end to another exciting soccer season here at Kern Valley High. Both our girls and boys teams showed excellent sportsmanship and determination throughout the season. The girls’ team notably reached the CIF semi-finals, an impressive feat that highlights their skill and work ethic. Additionally, they secured third place in the High Desert League. Meanwhile, the boys team demonstrated their resilience and competitive spirit in their matches. In this article, I interview two student athletes, Ella Mauer and Tristan Beckham, who play for the girls’ and boys’ soccer team respectively. Here is Ella Mauer for the Kern Valley Lady Broncs.

Why did you decide to play high school soccer?

“I’ve played since I was little. I love the sport and wanted to continue working with soccer and making it further.

What challenges do you feel like your team faced this season?

“We fought hard and trained. Even against the weather issues”

Are there any lessons or experiences that you’ll carry into the next season?

“I want to carry over the effort our whole team put into it. We worked hard and we got so far. Our team worked together and was committed to working our best.”

Ella’s emphasis on teamwork and collective effort demonstrates her understanding of the shared journey and the collective responsibility that comes with being on a team like this. Her hard-working mentality and resilience against challenges show her love for the sport.

Now for Tristan Beckham for the Kern Valley Broncs.

“I decided to play high school soccer because soccer’s always been something I really love, and something I wish to pursue through high school and college.”

“I feel like we were challenged by injury and commitment a lot this season. We had a lot of people injured and some people leaving the team by choice, which affected us all but I feel like it made us stronger.””

“I’ve definitely learned how to be a better leader, being a captain as a sophomore I definitely had to be mature and lead by example. Next season I’ll definitely carry the lessons our coach taught us, he really instilled in us the importance of working as a team.”

Tristan’s passion for soccer since youth, and his commitment to the sport despite the challenges he and his team faced this season, highlight his dedication and resilience, both crucial traits for success in this difficult sport.