Kern Valley Highlights

The Student News Site of Kern Valley High School

• March 14Quarter 3 ends on March 15th.
  • January 22Now recording sports scores! Be sure to check in often to keep up to date with the latest sports news.
  • October 13Welcome to Kern Valley Highlights! Check out our newest articles today.

Kern Valley Highlights

Kern Valley Highlights

Farewell to the 20 Year-Old FAB Tree

Farewell to the 20 Year-Old FAB Tree

On September 18th, there was a water leak under one of the trees by the FAB. When staff were fixing it they had to cut some of the roots of the tree to get to the pipes under. Because the tree could fall anytime, it would have been a safety hazard for the students so the area by the tree was blocked off. On the day this happened, students had to leave the FAB out of a different exit than they normally do.

I interviewed John Cosgrove, a staff personnel, about this and that’s how I came to know about why they had to cut the tree down. He’s been working at this school for 15 years, and he said that the tree has been here for about 20. I also interviewed Troy Barteltt, a junior student, about this as well and any inconvenience it might have caused him. He said he didn’t have any classes near where it fell down so it didn’t cause him any inconvenience. He didn’t even know it fell down.

A picture of the new tree planted in place of the old one.

They planted this new tree to replace the old one. It is a crepe myrtle tree that will take some time to grow. I think it looks really nice and will fill in the spot that the old one had well. With all of this, I hope you learned something new about our school and the 20 year old tree that is gone now. R.I.P.