What’s New on Campus this September-October? (2021)

The senior class cheers the loudest at the Friday pep rally!

Welcome back to school everyone! After over a year of distance learning, we’re finally back to in-person learning; welcome back Broncs! After coming back, there have been a few changes and a lot of unfamiliar faces. Over quarantine, many of us have changed our appearance either by cutting or dying our hair, a style change, or simply losing the adorable baby fat. Along with the Covid changes, all students and staff are required to wear a mask indoors at all times. On-campus, security has beefed up; now to get off campus pass seniors and/or juniors are required to provide their driver’s license. Up until the very end of October, the lunchroom has been closed due to Covid protocol but is now open and hopefully stays that way as the weather transitions into winter.

One of the first big events on campus was Homecoming! The theme was “Home Sweet Homecoming” with the dress-up days as follows:

Monday– Dress as your favorite superhero

TuesdayDress up in your vacation attire

Wednesday– Dress in western wear

Thursday– Dress in red, white, and blue for home of the brave

Friday– Dress in blue and gold, home of the Broncs!

The powderpuff boys give a fantastic cheerleading performance!

Homecoming week spanned October 4th-8th with a few events in between. The powderpuff game is a long holding tradition where the girls play flag football and the boys cheer for them. Seniors were pumped this year and many girls and boys signed up; for the juniors, it was a bit harder to get participation but thankfully both teams were created and could play. Due to bad weather, there were only two practices instead of three. The junior coaches were Derrick Hinkey and Sebastian Hartman the seniors were coached by Nathaniel Montgomery, Arian Naven, and Josh Wesala. A big thanks to all of them! The actual game commenced on October 6th with the seniors winning 20-0, congrats!

Powderpuff football players take a well-deserved break during an intense game.

Before the football game on October 8th, there was the classic class floats and homecoming court parade. Freshmen choose Wizard of Oz, Sophomores decorated their float like the house from the Disney movie Up, Juniors went all out with a USA-themed float, and finally, Seniors chose to be superheroes on vacation. Our senior candidates this year for king and queen were Justice Dermates, Will Bunting, Haley Tedrow, Colton Van Hook, and this year’s king and queen Brooke Jeans and Nathaniel Montgomery. Underclassmen nominees included juniors Kasey Lassen and Derrick Hinkey, sophomores Jaden Ritchison and Seth Stockwell, and freshmen Kaya Manwell and Wyatt Rankin. Congratulations! Our football team played Cal City with an overwhelming win! The game ended early during halftime.

Upperclassmen homecoming nominees left to right: Will Bunting (12), Derrick Hinkey (11), Kasey Lassen (11), Nathaniel Montgomery (12), Haley Tedrow (12), Brooke Jeans (12), and Justice Dermates (12).

During this time the fall sports volleyball, football, cheer, and cross country all had practice and events, congrats to all of them, and good luck to cross country for the rest of their season going into November. For more information read the sports article for September-October here

With the new school year, there were also class officer elections. Congratulations to all new ASB officers and Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior class officers. Don’t forget to attend meetings and make this year great!

CSF is always active with community service and is holding a food drive chaired by Angela Lezama. Angela started the food drive last year and has continued to do it again this year, collecting nonperishable food to give to families in need. If you want to donate there is a box at the school. Earlier in September, CSF did a trash pick-up along Erskin Creek road; because of Covid, the traditional trash pick-up, Kern Valley Pride Day, was canceled. So, senior Colton Van Hook took it into his own hands and created a community service opportunity to pick up some trash. They collected five bags-worth in just an hour.